When Online Dating first came about in the 1990’s it carried some form of the stigma of desperation and possibly even danger. But in the 21 century, more and more people are finding their life partner online.
Online Dating Tips for Success
There are numerous dating apps and sites online. Some are free; some cost money. With each of them, you will get out of it what you put into it. So, if you’re serious about online dating, pick at least one paid option so that you can judge the difference and quality of the people you meet versus the freebies. Even if you are an online dating complete beginner, meeting people online can open the field of potential mates so put your hesitation aside and give it a try!
Want to try some online dating websites?
Here are some tips to consider if you want to try online dating.
Match.com Match is considered one of the leading online dating sites. It costs under $25.00 per month but you can join free. Their personality test is free, and getting signed up is free. You can even browse profiles, send “winks” and communicate to a point – all without spending any money. You can choose different membership types to save money too.
EHarmony.com EHarmony does some things a little differently. For less than 60 dollars a month, you will get an extensive personality profile and be matched with others based on your preferences. This site is different in that it’s exclusively for people searching for long-term marriage relationships. If you’re serious, join the “total connect plan” so that your communications are unlimited – as are your match potentials, including ID verification of members and a secure way to talk on the phone without giving too much information.
ChristianMingle.com Christian Mingle is a good option for Christians to find like-minded people who value their Christian beliefs. Before you can find out the price you must fill out a profile. But you’ll pay less than 50 dollars a month for a membership. The longer your contract, the cheaper the monthly fee is – going down to less than 15 dollars a month in some cases. This site is for, obviously, Christians. You’ll answer questions about church attendance and more to join.
POF.com Plenty of Fish is one of the world’s largest online dating sites. They claim to have over 50 thousand new singles a day signing up. This is one of the cheaper options. If you get their highest tier plan, it can be under 10 dollars a month. Here you can meet all kinds of people of all types from around the world. You can also use a limited version free.
GreenSingles.com Green Singles is a site just like the others, but you can meet people who care about the earth and like to do things to improve the environment. They are straight, gay, bi, vegan, meat eaters and everything under the sun, but they all care about the earth in some way. You can join free and membership can cost as much as $10 to $19 monthly.
OurTime.com Our Time is a website that is geared toward people over 50. While a lot of sites are geared toward young people, this site does a good job helping you meet people your age so that you have something in common with them. Our Time is free to join but if you want to do more than browsing, you’ll need a membership; this will set you back about $13 to $21 dollars a month, payable in one payment depending upon the plan you choose.
Do a search for dating websites and you’ll find a plethora of choices that all cater to individual desires, needs, and wants. There is no shortage of dating sites. Most have apps that you can download to your mobile device too, so you can browse and communicate on the go.
Online Speed Dating
If you decide to participate in an online speed-dating event, you should be prepared so that you can ask the right questions. You can learn more about online speed dating at the Speed Date website.
Before you start your speed date, think about the type of things you want to know about them. Usually, the way a speed date works is that you have just a few minutes to ask questions and connect with the person before the organizer rings a bell, or stops the music, and you must switch seats. Typically, the women stay seated and the men move from table to table.
Don’t Strike Out on Your First Date
The best way to proceed is to choose one question from each subsection so that you don’t bore your date to death. The only way to make a connection and get information about the person is if you both turn in cards showing interest in the other. So, the connection has to be two-way before the information is exchanged.
Tips for Speed Dating First Date (Good for Any First Date!)
- General Knowledge Questions Don’t ask about names and that type of thing. Names are on name tags so you already have that out of the way. Greet the person and shake their hand or hug them depending on your and their preference, then get started the right way. A good question to ask in this case is something about what others think of them. For example, “How would your last girlfriend describe you?”
- Serious Deal Breaker Question You might have something in your mind that would make you not want to date a person, such as them being a smoker or not a smoker, meat eater or vegan, a parent or not a parent, wanting kids or not wanting kids, wanting hook-ups or not hook-ups and so forth. If so, try to slip that question in between some other lighter questions. You can phrase these questions in a way that doesn’t seem like a harsh thing to ask. For example, “What is your favorite meal?” can reveal a lot about a person.
- Learning about Hobbies and Interests Instead of asking, “What are your hobbies?” ask, “What did you do last weekend?” or, “What was your best day of the year last year?” These types of questions can show you what they really like doing, rather than having them just list hobbies and interests without a story to back it up.
- Silly Questions Sometimes it’s fun to ask questions that are silly. How they answer them will tell you something about them that a normal question might not. A good question is something that gives you information about the person. “When was the last time you laughed so hard you thought you might pee in your pants?” is a good choice. Much better than the “lottery winning” or “deserted island” questions.
- Icebreaker Questions Everyone feels nervous on a date, especially a speed date. The entire construct is awkward, but you’re all there for the same reasons: to meet new and interesting people and potentially make a connection. That’s why icebreaker questions were invented. The question usually involves humor to make people laugh so that feel-good hormones are relaxed and people relax. A good one is, “Tell me the funniest joke you know.” Or “How do you feel about snoring?”
Whatever questions you ask, make sure they are not yes/no questions. They need to be questions that require the person to answer. And don’t forget to let them ask questions too during the time limit.
Most of all, relax, be yourself, and have fun.
Some final advice on online dating…
Online dating may seem scary to you at first if you’ve been away from the dating game for a while. But if you’re mentally prepared and your heart is open to finding true love, I recommend that you give online dating a chance. Yes, you may be cautious at first, and you should be, but the only way of increasing your odds of finding your soulmate is to put yourself out there and show the world just how fabulous you are and how much love you have to give to a new healthy relationship.
And don’t forget to read our blog article about online dating for single parents, widows, widowers, and divorcees.